Thursday, 16 July 2015

Chain Manicure

Hey Everyone!
This design is a huge contrast to the more summery ones I have been posting recently, it was an impulse design but something I wanted to try out! I had the urge to use the only matte polish I have in my collection - disappointing I know, I really need to get my hands on a matte top coat. Any suggestions?
The go-to design with a black matte polish would have been a chalkboard design but the weather was gloomy and so I wanted to do something a little more grungy which is how I came up with this design. 
As you can see I drew the chains using a toothpick by doing a white base and then layering the silver over top. I did this to ensure I had the right shape and direction of the chains before going in with the silver. It would be interesting to do this design with small silver links to make the chain aspect more 3D!
For the thumb and ring finger I used an Avon Mosaic Effects Top Coat which gives a crackle effect with the matte polish peaking through ever so slightly. I felt this complimented the chains really well without my nails being totally dark!
I have to admit, as thrilled as I am with the result of the design, the black matte polish is note one I would recommend. It is from the Pretty brand that I discussed with my Nail Drying Spray in my last post, here. The reason I would not recommend it is because of the lifespan, it is awful. You're lucky if you get a days wear with it because by the end of the day after I had done my nails, it had totally chipped. I will hold my hands up and say I didn't use a top coat because I don't have a matte one! However, I don't really feel as though it would've made too much of a difference. The polish does come with a glossy top coat however, which I found works really well!
The silver polish though, I was very impressed with. I received it for Christmas a year or so ago with a red one also in Red Lava, the silver is called Mosaic Mica.With some crackle polishes I have found them to be very thick and in order for the polish to crack, they can have lumps in them. However, with this polish, that wasn't the case. The polish applied evenly over the nail and very thin. When first applied it appeared like an ordinary silver polish but then after a few seconds the cracks began to show. When the bottle is shaken you can hear a ball inside which I assume is used to keep the crackling. So, if you don't shake the polish and apply it normally, it will not crackle. This is something I have used the Red Lava one for.

Overall, I really like this design and I felt very badass when wearing it. It is a shame about the Pretty brand matte polish but as I say, it may be a different story with a matte top coat!
What's your opinion on matte nails?

20 comments:

  1. I love the black and silver together looks good, but I'm really loving the cracked polish!
    http://artadorned.com/
    I blog about jewelry and how to style jewelry with outfits, tell me what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so clever, I can never do nail art with a toothpick! I always neglect my Avon nail polishes and I'm sure I've got a mosaic one in my collection, I'll have to dig it out and have a play. I'm not a huge fan of matte nails usually but I have a really crap topcoat - the China Glaze one, it just bubbled, so I'd give that one a miss.

    Barbie Sparkles | Beauty, Fashion & Lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes great patience! Let me know if you end up giving your Avon polishes a try, I hope they work well for you. That's disappointing about the top coat, thank you for letting me know though!

      Delete
  3. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks really good (:
    Nati xx
    www.simplyartdicted.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in love with this edgy metallic design! For me, I think I'd enjoy wearing these nails with an otherwise more girly or classic outfit just to spice it up! I wish you were just able to drive on over and do my nails for me. You are one talented woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you like it! That's such a good idea, it gives things such a mysterious twist. Oh wow thank you! Aha, I would gladly that would be so much fun.

      Delete
  6. I like matte nails, but semi-matte even more! Since you are in the UK what I can suggest is NOT buying the Butter London matte top coat. I hate that one! I've heard good stuff (and it's cheap) about NYC matte top coat, not sure if you can get the brand over there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, thank you so much for your suggestions! I'll be sure to have a search online to see if I can find the NYC Matte Top Coat because I'm unsure as to whether we sell NYC in store of here. Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think they look super pretty and I would quite like to try matte nails, but cant help you find a top coat :/ if you find a good one let us all know :D

    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, I'll be sure to let you all know once I get my hands on one!

    ReplyDelete